FAQs/Helpful Resources

WMCCAI is dedicated to advocating and providing better living through community associations.
Click on the Quick Links to find answers to frequently asked questions or to find additional resources in your community.


Who do I contact regarding courses to earn and maintain my professional designations?

Professional designation courses, such as the M series classes and PCAM Case Study, are provided by the national office. Visit CAI’s website or call (888) 224-4321 for a schedule of courses or to register.

Several WMCCAI educational programs count as continuing education units toward earning your PCAM designation and maintaining your CMCA certification and AMS designation. Visit the chapter’s events calendar or call (703) 750-3644.


How can I report complaints about my manager or management company?

If your management company is an Accredited Association Management Company (AAMC) there is a code of ethics to which they must adhere. Additionally, managers who have earned the Association Management Specialist (AMS,) Large-Scale Manager (LSM) or Professional Community Association Manager (PCAM) designations are bound by the code of ethics. You may review the code of ethics and find out more about the complaint process on CAI’s website.

If your management is not an AAMC, try contacting the Better Business Bureau.

In Virginia, community association management companies are regulated by the Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR). For more information, contact (804) 367-8500 or dpor@dpor.virginia.gov.

Can you recommend a management company?

Visit the online service directory for a list of member management companies. When you browse through the list, you may notice some management companies are Accredited Association Management Company, they have the letters AAMC following their company name. The AAMC accreditation demonstrates a company’s commitment to providing the unique and diverse services community associations need and ensures that their staff has the skills, experience and integrity to help communities succeed. Its managers have advanced training and demonstrated commitment to the industry.

Also, you may want to consider purchasing How to Find the Right Community Association Professional (GAP #8); it contains criteria for selecting a company as well as useful tips on bid specifications, identification of potential candidates, requests for proposals, onsite meetings, the interview process and analysis of proposals. Also offers a section on working with your management company. The publication retails for $25 and is available to CAI members for $15.


Who do I contact with membership questions?

Your membership information, including dues and renewal, is handled by the national office. For general membership questions, contact Jeanine Hurley, jhurley@caionline.org or (703) 970-9242. For questions concerning renewals, contact Nina Deck, ndeck@caionline.org or (703) 970-9237. To join online, visit the national website.

How do I update my contact information?

Contact information updates must be provided in writing. E-mail info@caidc.org and addresschanges@caionline.org to update your record with both WMCCAI and the national office.

How do I access members-only content on the WMCCAI website?

Members must be logged in to access members-only content. If you have trouble logging in or have forgotten your password information, please e-mail info@caidc.org or call (703) 750-3644.

How do I know who to talk to at the national office?

Visit the national Find it Fast page or call (888) 224-4321.

WMCCAI Events & Programs

Why haven’t I received this year’s Membership Directory?

WMCCAI no longer prints a Membership Directory. We offer the online service directory, which you can access on the chapter website anytime.

How I do register for WMCCAI events?

Visit the chapter events calendar, select the event you are interested in, and click on the Register Now button at the top of the page.

How do I find out about sponsorship opportunities?

Visit the Marketing Opportunities page on the chapter website and click on Sponsorship Opportunities, or e-mail programs@caidc.org.

How can I find past issues of Quorum magazine?

Articles from June 2011-present can be found on the Resource Center under archives.

How do I find out about advertising opportunities in Quorum magazine?

Visit the Quorum page on the chapter website and click on Advertise.

Dispute Resolution

Where do I go to for mediation for conflicts between our board of directors and manager/management company or between neighbors?
There are several mediation services available in Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Washington, D.C.
Multi-Door Dispute Resolution Division of the D.C. Superior Court
Phone: (202) 879-1549

Northern Virginia
Northern Virginia Mediation Service
Phone: (703) 993-3656
E-mail: info@nvms.us

Other Virginia Cities & Counties
Virginia Association for Community Conflict Resolution
E-mail: info@conflictcrushers.org

Prince George’s County, Md.
Community Mediation Board at the Office of Community Relations
Phone: (301) 952-4729
E-mail: custsvcs@co.pg.md.us

Montgomery County, Md.
Conflict Resolution Center of Montgomery County
Phone: (301) 942-7700
E-mail: info@crcmc.org

Other Maryland Cities & Counties
The Maryland Association of Community Mediation Centers
Phone: (410) 553-0206
E-mail: info@marylandmediation.org

If the situationis beyond mediation, it may be time to consult with a lawyer. For a list of WMCCAI attorney members, visit the online service directory.