August Benefactor of the Month
Rees Broome PC
Actively serving Community Association’s in Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia
Tysons Corner Office
1900 Gallows Road, Suite 700, Tysons Corner, VA 22182
Phone: (703) 790-1911
Fax: (703) 848-2530
7101 Wisconsin Avenue #1201, Bethesda, MD 20814
Phone: (301) 222-0152
Fax: (703) 790-5249
Community Association Shareholders
Kim O’Halloran-Perez, Esq. ; firstname.lastname@example.org
Todd S. Sinkins, Esq.; email@example.com
Juan R. Cardenas, Esq.; firstname.lastname@example.org
Ursula Burgess, Esq.; email@example.com
Hilary Collins, Esq.; firstname.lastname@example.org
Peter S. Philbin, Esq.; email@example.com
Kathleen N. Machado, Esq.; firstname.lastname@example.org
Winta Mengisteab, Esq.; email@example.com
Erik Fox, Esq.; firstname.lastname@example.org
Kelly Zook, Esq.; email@example.com
Year Established or Incorporated: 1974
CAI Member Since: 1984
Areas You Serve: District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia
Members of: The Virginia, Maryland and D.C. bar associations; the Montgomery, Fairfax, Arlington, Prince George’s and Prince William counties bar associations.
Services Provided: Over its forty-five years of legal practice, Rees Broome PC has developed one of the largest bases of community association client representation in the nation. Additionally, we specialize in civil litigation, corporate law, tax law, corporate bankruptcy, zoning and land use, Virginia Department of Transportation condemnation, employment law, and estates and trusts for business owners and individuals. Several of our partners have been named to regional and national “Best Lawyers” lists for consecutive years.
Licenses Held: The Virginia, Maryland, District of Columbia and West Virginia bars
Firm Philosophy: We utilize our training, experience and professional collegiality to provide responsive, cost-effective and quality legal representation.
July Benefactor of the Month
Company Name: Associa Community Management Corporation
Contact: John Tsitos, President CMCA, AMS, PCAM
Address: 4840 Westfields Boulevard, Suite 300
City, State ZIP: Chantilly, VA 20151
Telephone: (703) 631-7200
Fax: (703) 631-9786
Year Established or Incorporated: 1971
- CAI Member Since: October 1979
- Certificate of Insurance: X Yes No N/A
- Bonded: X Yes No N/A
- Areas you serve: Virginia, Maryland, Washington, D.C., Delaware, West Virginia
- Corporate Associations: D.C. Cooperative Housing Coalition, Northern Virginia Building Industry Association, Building Owners and Managers Association International
- Services Provided: Associa CMC has been in the association management business for over forty-seven years. CMC was the first firm in the nation formed for the purpose of providing professional management services to common interest communities. Our firm is dedicated to providing professional management services to common interest communities and commercial properties. We are fully focused on developing the knowledge, techniques and resources that will best serve our Boards and communities. We strive for excellence in homeowner customer service and build collaborative and productive working relationships with our Boards of Directors. Using the collective strength and purchasing power of the Associa family of companies, we benefit our clients by providing quality products and services at significant discounts.
- Licenses Held: Accredited Association Management Company (AAMC)
- Certifications: “Great Place to Work” Designation for 2017 and 2018. Associa CMC is proud to be the only management company in our area to submit for and receive this prestigious designation honoring a commitment to workplace culture and how it compares to the rest of the world.
- Company Philosophy: “Delivering unsurpassed management and lifestyle services to communities worldwide.” We are a thoughtful, collaborative, and reliable company and are proud of our team and we ensure the highest level of service is provided to our clients. At Associa CMC, we promote professionalism and camaraderie among our managers through the open exchange of ideas and encourage them to assist each other in perfecting their individual product and presentation. Our staff members hold the following industry designations:
- 97 Certified Manager of Community Associations (CMCA)
- 55 Association Management Specialist (AMS)
- 24 Professional Community Association Manager (PCAM)
- Large-Scale Manager (LSM)
We believe maintaining positive, long lasting relationships is mutually beneficial. The satisfaction of our clients is paramount, and that philosophy has rewarded us with a client renewal rate of 96%. We take our fiduciary responsibility seriously and we do our absolute best to provide information and professional recommendations that assist the board in making informed decisions for their community.
Company Name: The Falcon Group – Engineering, Architecture, Energy Services and Reserve Specialists
Contact: J. Stewart Willis
Address: 7361 Calhoun Place, Suite 325
City, State ZIP: Rockville, MD 20855
Year Established or Incorporated: 1997
Areas served: DC, Maryland, and Virginia
Corporate Associations: Member of American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Member of Structural Engineering Institute (SEI), Member of National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE), Member of National Society of Architectural Engineers (NSAE), Member of Sealant Waterproofing and Restoration Institute (SWRI), Professional Member of the Roof Consultants Institute (RCI), Member of International Code Council (ICC)
Services Provided: The Falcon Group was founded in 1997 by Andrew Amorosi and William Pyznar with a vision of creating a full-service, client-centric engineering and architecture firm. “We wanted to create a ‘one-stop-shop’ with a strong focus on customer service to bring a higher standard to the industry.”
Since then, The Falcon Group has been dedicated to their clients and focused on delivering a wide range of services. Even over 20 years later, The Falcon Group continues to grow. Our staff works tirelessly to bring creative and innovate solutions and services to the marketplace.
We pride ourselves on being able to assist with virtually every aspect of the construction process. From planning and design, to construction management, to inspections, renovations and compliance to litigation and forensic engineering—Falcon has it covered.
The Falcon Group’s Civil Engineering Division has extensive experience in land development, roadway reconstruction design, retaining wall design, recreational facility design and drainage analysis and design. The firm also has extensive experience in foundations, basement water conditions, soils, erosion, sanitary and storm water collection matters.
The experience of our architectural and structural divisions includes building water infiltration detection and waterproofing designs, parking garages, building ventilation issues, low slope and steep slope roofing designs, facade repair and replacement designs, deck and balcony design, fire separation requirements, sound attenuation, and insulation requirements.
Our construction reports, plans and specifications are prepared and designed to a high standard. Construction inspections are performed to monitor and enforce compliance to the design specifications, plans and applicable codes and standards.
The Falcon Group has extensive experience in the preparation of Capital Reserve Studies and Transition Engineering Reports for Community Associations. We have prepared over 3,000 Capital Reserve Fund Analyses since 1997 and have accumulated more than 100 years of collective experience among our staff which includes both CAI designated Reserve Specialists (RS) and APRA certified professional reserve analysts (PRA).
Our Energy Division’s projects are executed using Certified Energy Managers, Professional Engineers, Certified Building Commissioning Professionals, and LEED Accredited Professionals
Licenses Held: P.E., M.E., R.A./A.I.A., P.R.A., R.S., L.L.S., Construction Official, Building Inspector, Mechanical Inspector
Company Philosophy: Our wide-range of services offered certainly sets us apart from other engineering firms, however we truly believe it is our staff and their ability to make strong, lasting connections with our clientele that is our competitive advantage. We pride ourselves on delivering outstanding customer service and our repeat clientele, some for 20 years, is testament to that.
Falcon has a staff of some of the most talented and personable people in the business. Every day they strive to share their knowledge and passion to help improve our communities. Everyone at Falcon is always willing to go that extra mile to make sure the job not only gets completed and done right the first time but also that clients stay informed throughout the process via open lines of communication with our engineering and architectural professionals, project managers and office staff. We really care about our clients and take pride in our work.
At the end of the day, we sell two things: 1) Trust and 2) Results. Falcon has built a 20- year, positive reputation based on these two pillars of our foundation.
Mission Statement: To be the leader in the industry by providing professional, cost effective and innovative architectural and engineering designs, solutions, and services through the use of highly qualified staff and outstanding customer service.
June Benefactor of the Month
Virginia Office: 3190 Fairview Park Drive, Suite 400, Falls Church, VA 22042
Maryland Office: 335 Clubhouse Road, City, Hunt Valley, MD 21031
DC Office: 601 13TH Street NW, Suite 900N, Washington, DC 20005
Year Established or Incorporated: 1985
• CAI Member Since: 1985
• Certificate of Insurance: Yes
• Bonded: Yes
• Areas you serve: Maryland, Virginia, the District of Columbia and Delaware
• Corporate Associations: CAI National and local chapters
• Company Philosophy: Our role as your insurance broker and risk management consultant is to help your community
manage not only its total cost of claims, but also its total cost of risk. The total cost of risk (TCOR) is defined as the sum of your community’s expenses as it relates to risk, including: deductible expenses or uninsured losses, transfer costs (insurance premiums), risk control expenses, and other administrative costs. In an effort to stabilize and reduce our clients TCOR, we have invested significant capital to provide additional services to our clients without charging an additional fee.
• Top 10 insurance broker in the U.S.
• 6,000 employees with 150 offices across the U.S.
• Acquired Wells Fargo Insurance in 2017
• Over $2B in U.S. Revenue
• Dedicated team exclusively serving common-interest communities
• Provides insurance and risk management for 3,000 condominiums, cooperatives and HOAs nationwide and 90,000 units locally
• Our team has expertise in underwriting, claims, and property management (PCAM) to achieve desired client outcomes
• Monthly Newsletters
• Unlimited access to our proprietary “Risk Management Center” which offers: free weekly webinars, Bilingual database
of Risk Management resources, Incident Tracking (incidents not reported to a carrier or below the deductible), Training and Audit Tracking, and SDS and BBS Track.
• 24/7 Online Certificate of Insurance processing
• Certificate of Insurance Tracking (vendor’s insurance and
• Vendor Contract Reviews (insurance requirements and indemnification language)
• Coverage & Bylaw Reviews for proper compliance
• In-house Claims Management and Advocacy
• Attend BOD Meetings & Town Hall Meetings
• Customized Loss Control & Risk Management Programs
• Budget Planning & Forecasting Services
• Market Analysis & Renewal Planning
• Education sessions for Managers, Residents and Board of Directors
Contacts: Theresa Melson, Senior Vice President, 703–205–8753, Theresa.Melson@usi.com; Jessica Knutsen,
Vice President, 703–205–8722, Jessica.Knutsen@usi.com; Andrew Schlaffer, Vice President, 703–205–8764, Andrew.
Trash Away, Inc.
Trash Away, Inc.
Director, Client Relations & Business Development
8390 Terminal Road, Suite D, Lorton, VA 22079
Founded in 1997, Trash Away brings over two decades of experience to communities in the Washington, DC metropolitan area, and we are proud to still serve our very first clients.
What sets Trash Away apart from other companies is our commitment to innovation, dedication, reliability and service – no matter the needs of your particular community, we’ll develop a reasonably priced plan to keep your community clean, then perform those services on time, every time.
We built our reputation as an innovator by creating a unique system to collect and remove trash from high-rise condominiums, without the use of dumpsters. Our system not only removes the odor and pest nuisance of unsightly dumpsters, but it reduces your legal liability. More than 100 luxury buildings in Washington, DC have contracted us for this patentable service. We bring the same level of service and innovation to all of our service lines; from dumpsters to curbside, you can depend on us.
May Benefactor of the Month
9210 Wightman Road, Suite 110
Gaithersburg, MD 20886
Year Established or Incorporated: 2006
CAI Member Since: 2006
Certificate of Insurance: Yes
Areas you serve: District, Maryland & Virginia
Licenses Held: Professional Engineer, VA, MD, DC; Certified Energy Manager
TRC Engineering (Ted Ross Consulting, LLC) consists of a team of experienced professionals working to enable building owners, managers, and boards to provide the best in mechanical systems for their tenants and residents. From Mechanical Engineering and Design to energy audits to piping analysis to emergency call management TRC provides expert aid to their clients. TRC serves as “Owner’s Rep” for projects such as boiler, chiller, cooling tower, piping installations or decentralized air conditioning projects. TRC will write and/or analyze project specifications and manage the bid process. TRC also functions as an “on-call” engineering team (Directors of Engineering for those properties without an engineering staff) or can work with an on-site engineering staff to improve their expertise on their own systems. The team members bring these credentials to the table:
- Professional Engineers with over 25 years of experience in consulting, project management, and
- Project Engineers for HVAC Systems Renovations.
- Licensed, experienced Chief Operating Engineer
- Certified Building Energy Auditors
- Certified Building Commissioning Agents
TRC Engineering is a CAI Educated Business Partner and our employees are very active in volunteering for the Washington Metropolitan Chapter of CAI. Our Principal, Ted Ross has served on the Board of Directors for six years and has recently earned the Chapter’s Hall of Fame award in 2018. Elisabeth Kirk is a recipient of the Chapter’s Rising Star in 2018 and co-chairs the Chapter’s Public Outreach Committee as well as, the Watershed Sub-Committee. Since its inception, TRC Engineering has always been an active member with the chapter; participating in many committees, sponsoring several chapter events as well as contributing many articles for Quorum Magazine.
Provide service that consistently exceeds our clients’ expectation. Lead the industry with quality standards and continuously monitor and improve the quality of our service. To enable Building Owners, Property Managers and Building Engineers to provide excellent facility service for their tenants and residents. We serve ethically, with a focus on developing and maintaining long-term client relationships.
TRC Engineering is focused on being the industry leader in multi-family residential, commercial and industrial mechanical engineering services. We will continue to develop the services offered including troubleshooting, retro-fit engineering, pipe testing and more in these buildings.
Company Core Values: Our team is proudly committed to the following values:
Integrity: Always treating our clients and colleagues in a fair manner; Gaining trust through our actions, including ensuring engineering and design integrity.
Service: We are consistently driven to provide the best service for our clients’ needs.
Respect: Respect within our team and for our clients will lead to a healthy working environment as well as team and client satisfaction.
Knowledge: We place value in having our team be leaders and instructors and always growing our technical knowledge to meet the needs of our changing environment.
Passion: Nurturing our team with a passion for providing the highest quality service to our clients.
Contacts: Ted Ross firstname.lastname@example.org
Elisabeth Kirk email@example.com
April Benefactor of the Month
Brothers Paving & Concrete Corporation
Paul Battista, CEO/Founder
9469 Hawkins Drive, Manassas, VA 20109
We get it.
With over thirty years experience in the HOA market, we understand the needs of your clients as much as you do. We make sure that you look good for your clients. The HOA market is the largest segment of our business, unlike our competition, who dabble in this industry. We understand the particulars—the importance of timely notices, of showing up when we say we will show up, attending board meetings, and educating board members on all aspects of our business.
Our job is to make sure that you look good to your customer, and we get that.
We’ve been a member of CAI since 1985, and we’ve been a benefactor of WMCCAI for over 10 years.
Reach out to us to schedule a 30 minute Lunch & Learn session, where we help you learn how to evaluate and maintain your asphalt and concrete needs.
“Loyal customers, they don’t just come back, they don’t simply recommend you, they insist that their friends do business with you.” -Chip Bell
Whiteford, Taylor & Preston, LLP
Company Name: Whiteford, Taylor & Preston, L.L.P.
Edward J. O’Connell III
3190 Fairview Park Drive
Falls Church, VA 22042-4510
Tiffany M. Releford
7501 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814-6521
Chad J. Toms
209 5th Street
Bethany Beach, DE 19930
Year Established or Incorporated: 1933
CAI Member Since: 1980
Certificate of Insurance: N/A
Areas you serve: District of Columbia, Delaware, Maryland and Virginia
- Washington Metropolitan Chapter Community Associations Institute (WMCCAI)
- Chesapeake CAI (CAIMDCHES)
- Central Virginia (CVCCAI)
- Southwest Virginia (CAISWVA)
- Southeastern Virginia (SEVACAI)
- PA and Delaware Valley Chapter of CAI (CAI-PADELVAL)
Services Provided: We advise clients on a broad range of corporate, litigation, technology and regulatory legal issues, both in the U.S. and abroad. In addition to our extensive representation of Community Associations, our clients range from Fortune 500 companies to small and medium enterprises to start-ups. They include businesses engaged in construction, finance, government contracts, higher education, health care, insurance, life sciences, manufacturing, nonprofits, real estate, securities, technology and transportation, among others. We help our clients arrange financial transactions, mergers and acquisitions and public offerings. Additionally, we advise companies and organizations of all sizes on tax, employment and real estate matters. Our litigation attorneys provide legal representation in court, arbitration and mediation, as well as before administrative agencies in a broad range of corporate, partnership, business and commercial disputes.
Licenses Held: Our attorneys are admitted to practice before the state and federal courts of Delaware, the District of Columbia, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia and a number of other states.
Company Philosophy: Since 1933, clients have come to Whiteford, Taylor & Preston for trusted representation and guidance on issues critical to achieving their business goals. With over 170 attorneys in 16 offices, we serve clients throughout the mid-Atlantic, as well as nationally and internationally. We have a lean, entrepreneurial approach to the business of law, delivering legal services that are at once sophisticated and cost-effective. In addition, we have a long history of giving back to our communities through pro bono contributions of legal services, board service and financial donations.
March Benefactor of the Month
Community Association Underwriters of America, Inc.
Community Association Underwriters of America Inc.
Doug Henken, CIRMS
Mike Romano, CIRMS, CPIA
4530 Walney Rd, Suite 200
Chantilly, VA 20151
9901 Business Parkway, Suite B
Lanham, MD 20706
Telephone: (800) 228-1930
Fax: (267) 757-7469
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Year Established or Incorporated: 1989
- CAI Member Since: 1989
- Areas you serve: Virginia, Maryland and Washington, D.C.
- Corporate Associations: CAI, Insurance Agents & Brokers, Apartment Condominium and Townhouse Association, Community Association Management Executives Organization.
- Services Provided: CAU is one of the largest providers of community association insurance in the country. Our comprehensive insurance programs were designed specifically for residential and office condominiums, homeowners associations and cooperative apartments and include several coverage advantages that are either optional or simply not offered by other insurance policies.
- Licenses Held: Virginia, Maryland and Washington, D.C.
Company Philosophy: CAU was established to meet the unique insurance requirements of the community associations and has designed its policies to specially address community association concerns. We continue to be the nationally recognized industry leader by offering innovative coverage enhancements and risk management solutions while at the same time maintaining our commitment to quality service, prompt resolution of claims and efficient processing of customer service requests.
As we approach our 30th year of service to community associations, our commitment to an unwavering standard of excellence remains the cornerstone of our relationship with our association customers.
Windows Plus, LLC
Company Name: Windows Plus, LLC
Contact: Kimberly Knight Wayland
Address: 4321 Markham Street, Annandale, VA 22003
Year Established or Incorporated: May 3, 2000
CAI Member Since: 2001
Certificate of Insurance: Yes
Areas you serve: Virginia, Maryland, Washington, DC
Corporate Associations: WMCCAI, Associa Advantage, American Bar Association, EPA Lead-Safe Certified, A+ Rated, Better Business Bureau, Preferred Vendor for Best Pick Reports, Vinyl Siding Institute Certified Installer, Lawyers of Distinction 2018
Services Provided: Turn-key operation for replacement windows, doors, siding and roofs. We offer renewable service/maintenance contracts to property managers for their buildings.
Licenses Held: Licensed to operate in Virginia, Maryland & Washington, DC
Corporate Philosophy: Our philosophy and approach to business is to educate and guide you through the home improvement process. Our staff has many decades of field, trade and corporate experience and will help you make excellent and educated choices for your home improvements. We are committed to our customers and colleagues to ensure complete satisfaction throughout the life of your products.
Our Mission: Windows Plus’s mission is to assist homeowners in making informed decisions for their home improvements. We are committed to excellence in our service and offer premium lines of products to ensure your satisfaction without sacrificing the integrity of the home.
February Benefactor of the Month
Chadwick, Washington, Moriarty, Elmore & Bunn, PC
Chadwick, Washington, Moriarty, Elmore & Bunn, PC
3201 Jermantown Rd. Suite 600
City, State ZIP: Fairfax, VA 22030
Telephone: (703) 352-1900
Fax: (703) 352-5293
Year Established or Incorporated: 1990
- CAI Member Since: 1990
- Certificate of Insurance: X Yes No N/A
- Bonded: Yes No X N/A
- Areas you serve: Virginia and the District of Columbia
- Services Provided: Legal Representation
- Licenses Held: Licensed in Virginia and D.C.
- Company Philosophy: Assisting association clients with knowledgeable, thorough and creative counsel.
Chadwick, Washington, Moriarty, Elmore & Bunn P.C. devotes its practice entirely to community association law in D.C. and Virginia, working with:
- Homeowners associations
- Condominium associations
- Residential and commercial master associations
- Housing cooperatives
Since 1990, Chadwick, Washington, Moriarty, Elmore & Bunn PC has provided comprehensive legal representation of community associations in Virginia and the District of Columbia, including homeowners associations, residential and commercial condominium associations, and housing cooperatives. The firm delivers wise, creative counsel to support an association’s ultimate goal—to run an efficient community that properly serves its members. Our lawyers provide guidance and assistance to boards and managers on the full array of issues facing community associations—such as covenant enforcement, covenant and bylaw interpretation, contract negotiation, amending governing documents and collecting delinquent assessments. We are also experienced in assisting new communities in transition from developer control and provide litigation services if needed. In addition, the firm is a leader on Virginia legislative issues and presents annual seminars to clients and managers regarding the latest developments in the law and other topics of interest.
Contacts: Ken Chadwick, esq., ccal, firstname.lastname@example.org; Wil Washington, esq., ccal, email@example.com; Brendan P. Bunn, esq., ccal, firstname.lastname@example.org; Allen Warren, esq., email@example.com and Bruce Easmunt, esq., firstname.lastname@example.org (all of whom are past presidents of WMCCAI)
January Benefactor of the Month
Hann & Hann Construction Services Inc.
Company Name: Hann & Hann Construction Services Inc.
Contact: Todd El-Taher, Vice President, Sales & Marketing
Address: 12307 Washington Ave
City, State ZIP: Rockville, MD 20852
Year Established or Incorporated: 1974
- CAI Member Since 1997
- Certificate of Insurance: Ö Yes
- Bonded: Ö Yes
- Areas you serve: C., Maryland, and Virginia
- Corporate Associations: Member of Community Associations Institute (CAI) Washington Metropolitan Region as well as Chesapeake Chapter, Property Management Association (PMA),
Hann & Hann provides a consultative approach to the renovation, maintenance and general upkeep of your community. Founded in 1974 we have in-house expertise in painting, wall covering, carpentry, roofing, siding, concrete, lead abatement, and mold remediation, to name just a few of our strengths. Hann & Hann employs a team of highly-skilled professionals ranging from ownership through management into our production staff proudly providing services to HOA’s, Condominiums, and Co-ops.
Hann & Hann has extensive experience in lead abatement and the risk containment for residents through the abatement process and continually train our personnel. With credentials in MD, VA, and D.C. and differences in each jurisdiction, we stay diligent in our continued education of our personnel due to the evolving best practices. With decades of experience in the condominium market, we are poised to continue assisting communities in the Metro D.C. region with their maintenance, repairs, renovations, and remodeling of any interior or exterior need. Our staff is accustomed to working in occupied spaces and makes every effort to reduce the inconvenience felt by residents.
- Licenses Held: MHIC(MD), Class A(VA), General service and repair home improvement contractor(D.C.), Lead abatement
- Company Philosophy: Consult with the client to determine the best solution for the need expressed, where possible providing options ranked as good, better and best explaining the advantages or shortcomings of each. Without hesitation, walk away from projects or requests that have an improper scope of work, risk of ethical conflict, or present risk to building, association, the reputation of Hann & Hann or the management company hiring us. Utilize knowledge, wisdom, transparency, candor and